Thursday, August 30, 2012
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Sunday, August 26, 2012
Onam is celebrated over 10days with Sadya eaten over plaintain leaves, it is difficult to find these traditions outside Kerala. But I always try and manage to make the sadya in the traditional way.
The first course of an Onam Sadya is always Paripp curry and ghee with red boiled rice and pappadam.
Paripp curry -Roast the Moong Dhal then add water and cook it with some salt and a coarsely ground coconut, jeera and green chillies. When it is cooked , temper it with dry red chillies, mustard and curry leaves.
Olan – Cut the vegetables into fairly big pieces as for avial (Raw banana, Brinjal, Raw papaya, Lady’s finger, pumpkin, snake gourd and split green chillies). Boil Red gram (vanpayar) . Cook all the vegetables add the boiled gram. Crush the garlic cloves with the grated coconut and stir well. The curry should be fairly thick. Temper the curry using coconut oil, mustard, dry red chillie and curry leaves.
Avial – Cut the vegetables into big pieces (Brinjal, pumpkin, snake gourd, string beans, drumstick etc., ) Boil the vegetables along with slit green chillies , turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt. When the vegetables are done add coarsely ground coconut and cumin seeds mixed in curds. When the gravy is fairly thick. Season the curry using coconut oil, mustard, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
Thoran – Thoran can be made with cabbage, beans, carrot and other vegetables also. You need to grate the vegetables for making thoran or slice it very thin. Add oil and cook the vegetable with salt and turmeric and when it is half done add coarsely ground coconut, jeera, green chillie and garlic. Heat oil add mustard seed, red chillie and curry leaves and season the thoran ( please don’t add water while cooking the vegetables)
Pulinji Curry – In oil fry mustard, curry leaves,jeera and methi seeds. Add ginger and tamarind pulp and jaggery and cook till the gravy thickens. Garnish with fried curry leaves.
Along with the above curries the usual Sambar, rasam , moru curry along with Kaduku manga pickle, pachachdi etc are served.
Now let’s move on to the sweet dishes served on Onasadya. There will be Ada payasam, pal payasam, parippu payasam
Ada Payasam - Boil the ada. Add milk cook until done. Then add sugar and cardamon powder. Stir well. Add ghee and garnish with fried coconut pieces
Make your Onasadya and Enjoy your Onam
Saturday, August 25, 2012
|Cake Present From my Student|
Friday, August 24, 2012
Thursday, August 23, 2012
- 4 tbsp Thai Green Curry Paste
- 1 table spoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- Few Mushroom, cut into strips and 1 Red Bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
- 500gms chicken
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 or 2 limes
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- Thai basil leaves
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, green pepper, Mushroom and ginger and sautee for a few minutes.
- Add salt and 4 or 5 tablespoons of the green curry paste and stir until fragrance comes.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock and Kaffir lime leaves and bring to a very slow simmer.
- Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt, Thai fish sauce, lime juice and add Thai basil leaves to the pot.
- Cook for a few more minutes
- Serve hot with Steamed rice
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
|Onam Sadya at The Paul -2012|
The Paul presents a two days Onam Buffet @ Rs.750/- on Aug 29th and 30th 2012. And a Traditional Sadya @1000/- on 29th August , It will be served the traditional way – on a banana leaf and will have 16 dishes including four payasams along with an assortment of accompaniments.
|Onam Sadya at Ente Keralam -2012|
ITC Dakshin Onasadya 2012
Dakshin: A special thali ‘Onasadya’ lunch at ITC Windsor, will feature classic vegetarian dishes and Payasams and Prathamans
|Taj Vivanta , Trinity Circle, MG Road|
Taj Vivanta has organised an Onam Buffet on 29th August 2012 from 12:30pm to 3pm. Veg buffet @1200/- inclusive tax and Non veg buffet @1500/- inclusive tax . Contact 66604444 for details.
|The Park, Beside Taj, Trinity Circle, MG Road|
The Park offers an Onam Buffet on 29th August 2012 from 12:30 to 3pm. Veg@1000/- inclusive Tax. Contact 25594666 for reservation
Enjoy your Onasadya...
Monday, August 20, 2012
Finally I made them, after so many trials..... So happy that I got it right.Ingredients
- Flour 3 ½ Cup
- Water 250 ml
- Yeast 2 tsp
- Salt 1 ½ tsp
- Oil 5 tbsp
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water(100ml) with 1 tsp of sugar and keep it for 10 mts
- Dissolve salt and oil in the remaining water (100ml)
- Pour the yeast mixture to the flour and mix well then pour the salt mixture to the flour and knead well for at least 5-7 mts till it become smooth.
- Coat the mixing bowl with oil and place the dough in it and cover with a damp towel and let the dough rise to double the size, keep it at least for 2 hours
- Grease pan with oil and keep aside.
- After 2 hours punch down the dough and knead for 2-3 mts
- Now Divide the dough into balls and place it in the grease pan.
- Again cover it with a damp cloth and set it aside for another 2 hours
- Now brush the top with butter and sprinkle rosemary on top.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degree and bake it for 20-25mts.
- Run a knife around the edge and immediately remove the rolls from the pan and cool it.
Friday, August 17, 2012
- Cocoa powder 1 tbsp
- Dark Chocolate 125 gms
- Milk 3 tbsp
- Butter 150gms
- Castor Sugar 150gms
- Eggs 3
- Flour 200gms
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Baking Soda ¼ tsp
- Melt Dark chocolate and milk for a minute in microwave.
- Sieve flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda for thrice
- Cream butter and sugar and add one egg at a time and beat for a minute before adding each egg
- Fold in the melted chocolate to this mixture (use spatula for mixing this)
- Now fold in the sieve flour to this mixture slowly and mix well
- Pre heat the oven in 180 degree for 10mts and bake the cake for 20mts in two pans
- When the cake is cool layer it with butter cream icing and use choco chips or dark chocolate to decorate the cake.
- Enjoy the Cake
Chicken boneless pieces 500gms
1. Curd 1/4 cup
2. Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
3. Chilli powder 1 tsp
4. Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
5. Ginger Garlic paste 1 tsp
6. Lime Juice 1 tbsp
7. Oil 2 tbsp
8. Salt 3/4 tsp
Mix all the ingredients and marinate the chicken and keep it for 2 hours and grill the chicken
For the Gravy
- Butter 3 tbsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Onion 2 big grated
- Ginger garlic paste 1.5 tsp
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Tomato puree 3/4 cup
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Fenugreek leaves 1 tsp dry roasted and powdered(kasuri methi)
- Cashew nuts 4 tbsp(add water to make a smooth paste)
- Chicken 500gm grilled
- Salt 3/4 tsp
- Cream 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil and butter in a pan
- Add onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry well
- Add Chili powder. Now add tomato puree and sugar.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add cashew paste and one cup of water.
- Cook until the gravy has thickened.
- Add Chicken and salt. Cook for 2 mts.
- Reduce the flame and add cram stirring continuously,
- Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves and cream
- Serve hot with roti or naan.
Ingredients to make fish curry:-
· Fish - 250 gm
· Small onion chopped - 1/2 cup
· Ginger and garlic finely chopped 1 1/2 tsp
· Green chili chopped - 2
· Chili powder - 1 tsp
· Coriander powder - 2 tsp
· Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
· Methi powder -1/4 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Curry leaves
Method - Step by step approach to yummy Meen Curry
1. Clean and cut the fish into medium pieces.
2. Crush ginger , garlic and green chilies ,
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and methi powder
4. Add chopped onions, and toss it well for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add ginger,garlic and green chilies,stir them till the raw smell goes away or till turns brown.
6. Make a paste of chili powder, coriander and turmeric powder, adding a little water
7. Add this mixture to the pan and sauté for few seconds
8. Now you can add fish pieces.
9. Cook it covered in slow flame for 15 - 20 minutes.Add curry leaves and remove from heat.
Serve warm with boiled rice to enjoy at it's best.
- 3 Bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cup maida (All purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp all spice (clove, nutmeg etc)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sieve flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all spice thrice and keep aside
- Mash Banana and mix well with egg.
- Now add oil, milk, vanilla essence and sugar then mix well.
- Fold in the sieve flour slowly to the wet mixture.
- Pre heat the oven for 10mts in 180 degree
- Pour the batter in a 8" pan and bake for 40 mts in 180 degree.
- Cool and slice the cake.
Monday, August 13, 2012
|Fondant Grapes and leaves on Grape wine cupcake|
Try this grape theme or other fruit theme on your cupcake experiment. Share your fruits of labor by posting your link in the comments box.