Monday, September 3, 2018

Maturing the Christmas Cake

Few weeks back when I opened the wrap to feed my plum cake which was baked last December 2017, I was so tempeted to taste them along with my home made grape wine.
"maturing" of Christmas cakes is required if it is kept for more than 3 months. After 3 months prick the cake and brush the surface with couple of tablespoons of Cherry alcohol and wrap it tightly in a double layer of greaseproof paper followed by a double layer of foil and then store it in an airtight container or tin and keep it in a dark cool place away from direct sunlight. Do not directly wrap the cake in foil as the fruit in the cake can react with the foil. Feed the cake occasionally to help it to stay moist.
114 days more to open my one year old matured Christmas cake.

No comments: