So here we go, I have my mom's yummy thiyal recipe out here, let me know what are the types and variation you all do with the thiyal.
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp crushed garlic
12 red chillies
8 black pepper cones
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
One and half cup of water
2 tsp oil
2 cups peeled whole shallots
10 curry leaves
1/4 Cup tamarind pulp
1 tsp salt
1. Dry roast the grated coconut around 10 mts or till dark brown
2. Now add the crushed ginger and garlic, saute for another 4 mts
3. Add 10 pieces of dry chillies and peppercones to it and saute for some more time, make sure it does not burn.
4. Now add the turmeric powder and remove from the stove, leave it to cool and then grind it to a fine paste by adding little water.
5.Heat the same pan and add oil to it, add the shallots and saute till transparent.
6. Now add the rest of the red chillies and curry leave and the coconut paste.
7. Saute for few minutes and add 1/2 cup of water and boil well.
8. Now add the tamarind pulp and the remaining 1 cup water and cook for 2 mts or till the gravy thickens.
Serve hot with rice and fish curry.