Squid a close cousin of cuttlefish / Octopus is available in Bangalore. It's a popular delicacy for Malayalee folks. In Trivandrum we call it Kanava, other places to the North of Kerala they call it koonthal. Despite it's popularity, many of my friends cringe at the sight of it. Whew..
Check this site on complete information about Squid - from cleaning to preparing different squid recipes.
Squid at Kovalam Restaurant
During our last visit to Kovalam, we ordered keep fried Calamari Squid as a starter. The calamari they served in Kovalam was great in taste and just right with the sea side setting.
Where to buy Squid in Bangalore
In Bangalore, there are few seafood restaurants service squid rings as starters. Foodworlds also sell frozen Squid rings in packet. I've never tried it.
This calamari squid recipe is the most common you can find in Kerala cuisine. Here's how I prepared squid.
Ingredients to make Squid thoran:
- Squid-1/2 kg
- Onion-3 big
- Half coconut grated
- Green chilly-3
- Curry leaves
- Chilly Powder-3/4 tsp
- Coconut Oil
- Ginger-1 big piece
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Clean and cut the squid in round shape
- Grind coconut, garlic, ginger, green chilly
- Heat oil in a pan add onion slices , curry leaves and salt
- Stir well till the onion become light in color
- Add all powder and saute till the raw smell goes away
- Now add the squid and the coconut masala
- Cover it and cook for 5-8 mts
- Serve hot
- Yield: 4 serving