|Christmas Rich Plum Cake|
|Plum Cake/Christmas Cake - Gifting Cakes|
I'm sharing my Mother's Christmas cake recipe. She has learned it from her mother. This cake recipe is popular in my family and most of my family members from St Andrews, Trivandrum use this recipe.
Every Christmas, I bake in 250gm cakes for gifting it to my friends and relatives. I hope you will also make your Christmas special by gifting and sharing homemade plum cake.
If you are planning to make cake for this Christmas, then November is a good time to start the process. The more time you give for soaking fruits, raisins, and nuts, better will be outcome .
Ingredients for Christmas Plum Cake:
- 1/2 kg Maida
- 1/2 kg butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 kg sugar
- 1/2 kg mixed dried fruit (walnuts, almonds, cashews,raisins, dates, cherry,candied peal), chopped into small pieces and soak them in rum. (Christmas Cake Mix)
- 1/2 kg egg(My mom always weigh the eggs)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsps vanilla essence
- 3 tbsps orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 15 cloves
- 4" cinnamon stick
- 2 small/ 1 large nutmeg
- Powder the spices by grinding the cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a grinder. Keep it aside.
- Spread the chopped dried fruit on a clean surface or bigger tray or plate and sprinkle the flour over it and keep on mixing it.
- Now add the powdered spice powder and baking powder together.
- Prepare the baking tray by lining them with good butter paper.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar in a vessel with 2-3 table spoons of water, cook on medium flame till all sugar dissolves and the syrup starts to turn dark brown to black in color and begins to smoke a little. Just keep it on the heat till it melt again. Turn off the heat and add 1/4 cup water and keep it back in the stove and cook in medium heat, till it become thick syrup.
- Use a blender to blend the remaining sugar and butter till smooth and fluffy.
- Now beat the eggs till they are light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence. Whisk more.
- Add the orange marmalade and the dark sugar syrup at and blend till the batter is smooth.
- Slowly add the flour , fruit mix into this and mix well, do not use the blender now.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray.
- Set the oven for 170 C and bake for 20-30 mts.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before cutting
Back in 80's when we stayed in Trivandrum, my parents used to bake cake in large numbers and distribute to our neighbors, relatives and close friends. I remember those wonderful Christmas seasons when we hosted our extended family for Christmas feast, and the melodious voice of Jim Reeves played in the living room.
Now, many years has passed... life has changed, we moved to another city and people drifted away.
Well, the charm of old times is gone, but now these homemade Christmas cakes brings back fond memories of those wonder years.
P.S. If you find this recipe difficult to follow, then you can attend one of my Christmas cake baking lessons. Get a good foundation in baking with personalized instructions on cake baking.
BTW, I sell Christmas cake in Bangalore and Trivandrum. Get in touch with me to place orders for Christmas cake.