|Johnny Cake Alias Poopachie's Raju Cake|
Uncle Richard has mailed me the exotic Canadian cake recipe - Johnny Cake. In his mail he said, Nina my niece, named Johnny Cake as "Poopachie's Raju Cake".
About Johnny Cake
This cake is a great substitute for bread with egg or soup dishes. It can be split into slices and serve it with maple syrup as dessert. Many others have it with honey spread or jam and butter for breakfast.
Ingredients for Johnny Cake:
- 3/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Egg(beaten)
- 1 1/4 Cup Milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Melted Shortening
- Mix cornmeal and milk and set aside
- In large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Stir egg and shortening into cornmeal and milk mixture.
- Add liquid to dry mixture and stir until blended ( will be slightly lumpy)
- Place mixture into greased cake pan and bake for 400 degree for 20 minutes.