|Pudding with a Twist|
|Slice of Pudding|
This savory dish has bread, sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, cheddar, and other ingredients. It's time to make 'em, bake 'em and eat 'em.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 500 gms spicy Chicken sausage (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 loaf (18 slices) white sandwich bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley,( If using dried parsley - 1/4 cup)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt ( Salt as per taste)
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chilly flakes
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with butter.
- In a large sauté pan (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break the meat into small clumps, until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to a large mixing bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium, then add the onions to the pan along with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cook the onions, stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions to the mixing bowl with the sausage, along with the bread cubes, grated cheese and parsley. Toss well, then spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Chilly flakes,salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover tightly with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bake for about one hour, until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy: Jenn Segal
I have made few changes in the spices to match with the Indian taste.