Taste, flavor, ingredients of Biriyani is different from one place to another. For instance, this Kerala Biriyani is different from Malabar Biriyani or Calicut Biriyani. This one is distinctly touch of Trivandrum or it could be a Universal Biriyani. .
I got this Biriyani recipe for my Mom, who got it from her Mom. So, technically it's from Granny's Biriyani recipe. Of course many things has been added or subtracted as the recipe changed hands.
Despite all those changes, this Biriyani came as big hit with the guests. Sometimes, the taste and flavor surpasses my own expectation. Has it happened to you?
Now steam ahead with this Biriyani recipe.
Ingredients for Mutton Biriyani
- Mutton large pieces - 1kg
- Basmathi Rice-1 kg
- Onions sliced finely -500gms
- Ginger -50gms
- Garlic ground-50gms
- Green Chillies crushed - 100gms
- Poppy seeds powdered - 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 bunch
- Mint leaves - 1 bunch
- Curd - 1 cup
- Lime juice - 1
- Ghee - 250gms
- Raisins and Cashew nuts - a handful
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Saunf - 1/2 tsp
- Shahjeera-1 tsp
- Mace-2-3 petals
- Nutmeg-1/4 piece
- Cinnamom-2 1/2" piece
- Cardamom - 6
- Clean,wash and drain the rice.
- Heat half the ghee and fry half the onions till golden brown
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry nuts and raisins and set aside.
- Add the rice to ghee and fry for 4-5 mts and add double the quantity of water.
- Add salt and cook till rice is soft and water absorbed.
- Remove from fire and set aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee
- Add the onions and fry till transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, poppy seed paste and green chillies and fry for a few minutes
- Add Mutton and fry for few mts
- Now add salt and enough water to cook the meat.
- Pressure cook the meat for 20-30 mts till it is tender.
- Add beaten curd,lime juice and chopped leaves.
- Take a deep vessel and put in the meat.
- Sprinkle a little garam masala powder on top
- Spread 1/2 the rice over the meat.
- Sprinkle gram masala,fried onion, nuts and raisins.
- Repeat this process with the remaining meat and rice.
- A little saffron or yellow color mixed in milk and some rose water sprinkled on top enhance the flavor(This is optional)
- Cover with foil and put into a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita and pickles.
In the end, don't blindly go with this recipe. Add few or minus few to get the fragrance and taste of Biriyani of your dreams. Anyway, I would like to know your comments, suggestions or kickbacks/brickbats after trying out this spicy delight.
Your's through biriyani,