|Appam Ready to be Served|
To the less initiated ones, Appam is circular, fluffy, crisp-edged dish that is made from rice flour fermented with a small amount of toddy. But in places like Bangalore where you don't get toddy, you can use yeast. So, are you ready to learn appam recipe?
How to Make Kerala Appam?
In this blog post you'll learn to make Kerala Appam. Follow this simple appam recipe to make lip smacking Appam at your home.
Ingredients to make Appam:
- Boiled rice -1/2 cup
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Scraped coconut - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Yeast - 1/2 tsp
- Soak both rice for 4 hours
- Grind with coconut to a fine paste- appam batter
- Add salt, sugar and yeast
- Keep it overnight
- In the morning add water to the appam batter
- Place Appam chatty (pan) in gas
- Grease the pan and pour a spoonful of the batter.
- Let it set for few seconds
- Then twist the pan round for the batter to spread out the pan
- This forms a lace border of 1/2 inch all round.
- Cover the appam pan with the lid and cook for 3 mins
- Open the lid to check if its cooked
1) Cast iron pan ( Cheenachatty) is better than non stick ones.
P.S. I teach Appam and stew in my one-on-one cooking class in Bangalore. If you're outside Bangalore, you can learn Appam making through my online cooking classes. Mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at #9900114982.